Located in San Marcos, CA, M Bar C Construction provides an ultra-reliable solution for general contractors, corporate divisions, and government entities working on large scale projects. Using light and heavy gauge structural steel, we can incorporate solar efficiency into parking lot canopies, fixed and tracker system parking structure canopies, and ground-mounted units. We’ve been doing this with great success since 1975 and are now positioned for further growth in the coming year. We now seek a Project Estimator whose basic function will be to meet the established sales goals and growth objectives of the company and to plan and execute bidding activities to support and promote sales. This includes estimating Design Build and Per Plan Projects, Project Cost Analysis, Client Relationship Development, and Accurate Budget Preparation.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ensure that all Estimating activities are planned, conducted, and executed based on written procedures towards stated sales objectives
- Strive to attain company profit objectives. Develop new opportunities for additional growth toward Sales goals within the budgeted limits
- Maintain acute awareness of new products and stay alert to potential opportunities to enter into new markets, including constant research in order to make recommendations as feasible.
- Seek out new customers and prepare presentations (Photos, renderings, and design build savings opportunities) which will serve to expand M Bar C’s loyal customer base to grow the business.
- Foster business relationships with existing and potential customers through quotes, anticipating needs, resolving concerns and complaints, and providing technical support.
- Comfortably speak with potential customers about our design-build capabilities and convey our industry expertise to solve their design concerns
- Perform Project Site Visits and schedule/conduct meetings with both potential clients and current customers
- Contact customers and submit proposals for all facets of services provided by the company.
- Process proposals and contracts ensuring that information required to complete client billing is provided to finance and administration personnel in a timely manner.
- Respond to incoming sales calls as needed and answer customer/client questions regarding designs
- Review and maintain profit strategies with management
- Ensure proper overhead, labor rates and burdens are being applied
- Write proposals and supporting materials using appropriate options and verbiage
- Ability to quantify accurate takeoffs with back up and subcontractor and supplier quotes based on plans both print and on computer
- Facilitate project handoff meetings and project details with Operations /Project Management which includes: create background information system utilized for contract negotiations; prepare Quotes, Bid Documents, and Procedural documents based on provided Estimating Procedures
- Assist customers with most efficient panel layouts and/or designs that are most efficient for the desired outcome
- Create bids using historical data and company defined best practices
- Estimate projects from start to finish including bid entry and proposal writing
- Request quotes from multiple suppliers and subcontractors for steel, rebar, hardware, field welding, fabrication, etc.
- Administer contract documents and proposals and submit for review when required
- Prepare project analysis spreadsheets as required.
- Design/create preliminary structural details for bidding purposes.
Education / Experience: Bachelors degree in Business or relevant discipline, or equivalent work experience preferred with 5+ years of estimating experience in construction/commercial environment, preferably in steel and/or concrete construction projects.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- The use of analytical and observational skills which demonstrate an ability to organize, budget, forecast and control sales and marketing programs
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret engineering drawings, design build projects, and prepare material takeoff lists based on scope
- Strong knowledge of the construction industry and trends impacting its business
- Capable of comprehending and performing business math calculations necessary to accurately prepare job estimates and quotes, calculate gross profit margins, and related costs
- Excellent communication skills including speaking, writing and listening, such that ideas and information are clearly conveyed and meaning is obtained.
- While primarily works in an office setting, may occasionally work outdoors in a construction environment where may encounter varying weather conditions and temperatures. Normal auto travel hazards will apply. Some travel may be in all types of weather including heavy rain and below freezing temperatures with snow conditions.
M Bar C Construction is an EEO employer and embraces diversity in our workforce. The company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local municipal laws.
M Bar C Construction is Veteran friendly and encourages our military veterans to consider us as an Employer of Choice.
Everyone wants to work for an employer that sets themselves apart from the rest of the field. The 2015 Top 500 North American Solar Contractors shows M Bar C Construction as #8 in Construction, #16 in California, and #45 across all of North America. Come make a difference and be part of a team that cares about the quality of what they make. With core values like Family, Integrity, Commitment, and Quality, you’ll be part of something unique in the field of Construction. Make your mark by joining M Bar C Construction.