Position Title: Project Manager
Located in San Marcos, CA, M Bar C Construction provides an ultra-reliable solution for general contractors, corporate divisions, and government entities working on large scale projects. Using light and heavy gauge structural steel, we can incorporate solar efficiency into parking lot canopies, fixed and tracker system parking structure canopies, and ground-mounted units. We’ve been doing this with great success since 1975 and are now positioned for further growth in the coming year.
We now seek a Project Manager whose basic function will be to control and manage all performance components on multiple projects integrating with the Client, the Estimating department on proposals and all other internal supporting departments who contribute to the success of the individual projects. Key components of this role include: Engaging with the Estimators on proposals, pre-award site walks, communication support with the clients, estimating hand-offs, post mortem feedback and lessons learned; Project start-up; WIP presentation; Project cost control (labor, equipment and material); Change order management; Client management; Project close-out; and Promoting corporate values.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides supplemental technical assistance to Estimating (at every opportunity) such that final proposals are submitted as complete and accurate as possible.
- Reviews and gives acceptance of the project hand-off (Estimator to PM), ensuring all project information is accurate, comprehensive, and all questions are answered.
- Collaborates with the Contract Administrator to provide initial contract information, including general project information, award amount and total anticipated cost.
- Creates the Foreman Hand-off Work Sheet (FHWS), populating the cells applicable to the PM, scheduling the hand-off meeting with the superintendent (and the foreman, whenever possible), and for ensuring all critical information is completely obtained and understood.
- Responsible for creating the final detailed budget and providing that information accurately to the Contract Administrator.
- Responsible for creating a custom WIP worksheet for each project and strategically manage its accuracy and cost projections (to complete) and for updating the corporate WIP worksheet timely and accurately.
- Responsible for cost control on each project ensuring that from award to completion, a solid knowledge of current financial status is known by effectively managing in-house budgets and costs (through the superintendent), committed costs (purchase orders, work orders, subcontracts) and change orders.
- Responsible for document control ensuring that M Bar C is adequately protected in all areas of project documentation.
- Responsible for managing the client’s expectations from proposal (if possible) through contract execution and project completion. Intercede on the superintendent’s behalf with respect to client disputes.
- Duty to remain available to Customer, Clients and company staff, by phone or in person, whenever work is being done or should issues arise after hours.
- Attend project meetings whenever practicable (site or conference call), documenting the discussion (actions, commitments and/or agreements) through minutes and/or notes (distribute, if necessary).
- Develops and maintains a collaborative team cohesiveness with Superintendents, Project Administrators, and Project Engineers assigned to projects and provides project leadership with these individuals working on the projects.
- Ensure proper close-out procedures have been followed and documented including quality control, punch list, warranty registration sign-off has been signed and filed. Responsible for timely and accurate project invoicing and to provide support to AP related to late payments, etc.
- Responsible for fostering an atmosphere of teamwork, coaching and mentoring at every opportunity.
- Promotes M Bar C’s Values at every opportunity, both internally and externally.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Education / Experience: Bachelors degree in Business or relevant discipline, or equivalent work experience with 3-5 years as a Project Manager on government/DSA/military construction assignments. Ten years Project Management experience on projects with experience in government, DSA, military construction, or Construction field experience preferred.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Must be able to work on an outdoor construction site as well as in an office environment.
- Must possess a valid California Driver’s License and be insurable by M Bar C
- Ability to lead a project team to success through “leading without authority” skills.
- Excellent communication skills including speaking, writing and listening, such that ideas and information are clearly conveyed and meaning is obtained.
- Ability to read and understand construction documents (RFPs, contracts, specifications, construction drawings, etc.) and able to conceptualize two-dimensional drawings as a three-dimensional object, and transmit that vision to others.
- General construction accounting acumen and good math skills.
- General construction knowledge.
- Effective negotiating.
- Ability to work easily and effectively with owners and engineers.
- Sufficiently proficient in computer software programs (word processing, spreadsheet and scheduling programs).
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects
M Bar C Construction is an EEO employer and embraces diversity in our workforce. The company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local municipal laws.
M Bar C Construction is Veteran friendly and encourages our military veterans to consider us as an Employer of Choice.
Everyone wants to work for an employer that sets themselves apart from the rest of the field. The 2015 Top 500 North American Solar Contractors shows M Bar C Construction as #8 in Construction, #16 in California, and #45 across all of North America. Come make a difference and be part of a team that cares about the quality of what they make. With core values like Family, Integrity, Commitment, and Quality, you’ll be part of something unique in the field of Construction. Make your mark by joining M Bar C Construction.